October 2 - Celebration!
We combined mine and Ben's birthdays and made it a celebration. It was fun! First, Ben opened up his gift from grandma. A real metal detector! wow! That was the perfect gift. Ben is a little grandpa Bates. He loves to pan for gold and hunt for treasures. I put together a treasure hunt and gave Ben a treasure box to keep all his treasures in. I hope he really enjoys it.
Chad fixed us dutch oven bbq chicken. It's our favorite! He fixed the most delicious dutch oven au gratin potatoes. The best I've ever had. Makaela fixed me the traditional pumpkin cake, but made it into cookies. It was a very good birthday. I always love it when the family comes! I wish Amie lived a little closer.
October 4- Fishin' with the Family
Today is Ben's birthday. I asked him a couple of days ago what he was going to do for his birthday. He said "I'm going fishing!" "Oh!!!!... you're going fishing?" It's a good thing mommy was there to hear him say that. What a surprise!
Ben is so darling, if I can say that about a little boy. He just warms my heart through and through. He had his first fishing trip to the Cold Springs Trout Farm right on his birthday... just as planned!!! The trout farm is located in North Ogden, a mile from their house. You turn down the dirt road to the farm and it's like you enter a different world. It is so neat. I think I was just as excited as Ben! Who would have guessed this little treasure was hidden in the heart of No. Ogden.
This was Ben's fishing trip so you can imagine a little apprehension about catching a fish for the first time. But once he got it on its hook, he was hooked! When mommy asked if he were going to eat his fish, he said "No, I'm giving it to grandma". And I gladly accepted. The fish was fillet on the spot and bagged for a meal.
This was Ben's (and grandma's) best fishing trip ever! I can't wait to go again.
October 6 - Fresh Trout
And was it ever good! Thanks Benjamin for the trout.
October 15 - How to make a Scarecrow
First, you gather up a bunch of things around the house like masks, old clothes, hats, pans, and creepy birds and spiders. Other places I have found really neat things is at Zurcher's, the ultimate party store. And the DI is always a good place to find the unique and not so ordinary.
Then you get the kids to come up and invite some friends for some evening fun! We made 4 scarecrows and decorated the yard.They also roasted hot dogs and smores and played night games in the orchard. It was a fun evening.
Mr. Pumpkin Head keeps his eyes open for uninvited guests.
First hint of Fall. It's been such a warm summer and early fall, that it has taken some time for the leaves to turn. They are just now starting to fall to the ground.
Before the evening's gathering, Mike pressure washed and cleaned the garage. Oh... I love it! And I think Dave will love it, too.
October 20 - National Domestic Violence Awareness Day
Bracelets for Shaniel
Dressed in purple to show support. Audrey and I.
Playing in the leaves
What do you do in the Autumn time? Play and jump in the leaves. The kids had a blast. Is it any wonder why fall is a favorite time of year! To see more click here.
October 21 - Halloween Party
Party guests: Scary and not so scary...
Alia - the witch
Ben - Captain America
Emilee - Jasmine
James - little pumpkin'
I really like my guests. They are really cute!
Dinner was yummy. We had hot dogs and sloppy joes, apple and celery salad, ghost cheese sticks, candy corn fruit parfaits, ghastly goblin punch, and spider cupcakes.
Spider races were a big hit! We made crazy crafts out of pipe cleaners and colored some Halloween pictures.
The evening's activities culminated in a Spooky Hollow Forest Walk around grandma's yard. The kids listened to the story of the "Scary Jack-o-lantern" as they followed the cat to find treasures among bones, around ghosts and bats, and finally at the witches hut. Although it was fun for the little ones, Alia was a little disappointed. The orchard is much more fun. We'll have to do it next year in the orchard when grandpa is home to drive the tractor.
October 25 - Smarty Pants Preschool goes to Black Island Farms
It was a great day to go to Black Island Farms. The first thing we get to do is ride on the big wagons to the pumpkin fields to pick pumpkins. Then the little kids all gather for a large group picture. Then, it's off to play. Climb on hay bales, slide down slides, watch pig races, crawl through tunnels, watch puppet shows, ride a train in the corn field, swing on animal tires, and play in the corn box. Wow! exhausting! But... oh, so much fun. I love and look forward to doing this activity with the kids every year.
October 30 - Trick-or-Treat
Look who came to my house today, dressed in their Sunday best!
Trick-or-Treaters that came to grandma's house this year got Monster Cookies and soda pop.
October 31 - Costume Parade
Getting ready for the costume parade at Majestic Elementary. I'm looking for a witch and Captain America...
On the front steps making scary faces.
A few of my favorite fall things
Anything pirate, and I love it! It's about the treasure and the hunts. I really like the pirate scarecrow that Brayden and Bo made for the yard.
This is the first year since Shaniel and Steven passed away that I had any enthusiasm for Halloween. I had fun making a shelf of apothecary potions. My favorite was a skeleton mask shaped into a jar of green food coloring. It was creepy good!
This is my favorite porch decoration. Who doesn't want to know if the witch is in!
The scary jack-o-lantern has a grin with braces. He caught my attention! And I love the crow on the skeleton head. Halloween was fun this year. I'm glad I'm getting back into the spirit of it. Both Shaniel and Steven loved this time of year.
Can't leave the month of October without saying good-bye to the yard. This time is no exception to nature's beauty. Even in her dying state, she continues to awe me.
Birthdays
Month in Review

















1 comment:
F is for fall fun!
Post a Comment