Jan 1, 2010: Day 1 Santa Collection
Remember Speigel?
If you are not old enough to remember, Speigel was a mail order catalog. Christmas was always an extra fun time to order unique gifts. I mail ordered a Santa around 1978. He stands about 18 inches tall, is hand carved from wood, wears a colorful red coat, and holds a basket with a goose in it. He has faithfully adorned our shelves every year during the holiday season. In fact, my Speigel Santa was the start of my ever-growing Santa collection. It's usually the last thing to pack up and put away. Until next year....
Jan 2: Day 2 Boden Stick Candy
"Little girl, you'd better learn how to make this stick candy; it might help you make a living some day." This prophetic advice was given to Annora Coleman Boden when she worked in a candy factory in Wales. Annora was born in 1828 and learned the candy trade at an early age. After her marriage to James Boden and ten children later, the family migrated to the United States and settled in Brigham City, Utah. Annora became a widow shortly after their arrival and started making candy to make ends meet. The tradition has since been carried on with consecutive generations. Our dear friend gives us the Boden Candy every year for Christmas... Annora was his great grandmother!
Jan 3: Day 3 Hometown Artist and a Lang Calendar
One of my favorite artist's live in my hometown. Every year my sister saves me six calendars from her drugstore. Most of them are usually Ned Young's Homeland, sold my Lang. This year's calendar was his Still Life. I like it for the most part, but was missing the home scenes from around town that are so familiar to me. So.... you can imagine my unexpected surprise when I went into a downtown bookstore and saw his calendar hanging on the wall. I said "I have got to have that calendar!" It was the only one left in the store and it was used by employees to keep track of time. The manager graciously sold me the calendar for $7.00. I was so excited! I took it right home and put it in my calendar holder in the kitchen. It wasn't long before I noticed that the calendar had been signed by the artist himself.... sweet! An added bonus - the house pictured is my neighbor's house!
Jan 4: Day 4 Scales do not lie!
....even though I wish they did! Yep, I have some weight to lose. Next time you see this... I'll be!!!!
Jan 5: Day 5 Shabby Chic Shopping
My favorite stores are consignment and thrift shops! I took the Mr. to this totally awesome shop that I frequent, thinking he wouldn't like it. Surprise...he loved it! Now we shop together! We find hidden treasures from other countries, vintage plates, painted furniture... unique and full of personality!
Jan 6: Day 6 To be young again!
A painting the Mr. and I fell in love with... purchased it for $120.00. It was painted in 1880, with the artist's signature and looks as if it may still be on the original canvas. We have yet to verify it authenticity. At any rate, now the Mr. and I can admire it and dream of a time when we were younger...much younger! It's a beautiful painting!
Jan 7: Day 7 Shopping for paint colors
Shopping for paint colors is a real challenge. So many choices! I love blue, green, and yellow for some rooms and some as accent walls, while keeping the main color a warm toast. The Mr. is designing the theater room.... thinking about red and black.... cool, very cool! Now, here's hoping we can pull it all together!
3 comments:
Great pictures, love the calender and the painting and of course the shabby chic shopping! I need to get up that way and do some of that kind of shopping!
I love the stories behind each picture. I can't believe you were brave enough to post scales. I threw mine away decades ago. What a great week in pictures. I can't wait to see more.
Great post. I don't even want to know what my scales says. so what is your plan?
Post a Comment